Saturday, July 21, 2007

Read it!

For those of you who don't know... I am a reader. I love a good book. My current job requires me to take a train for 30 minutes into and out of the city each day. This hour is officially dedicated to reading. Over the past seven months, I have read a lot of books.

I also do not believe in the library. Not because I don't love libraries - I do. But because, I am really hard on books. I like to break in the spine every few pages. I am also notorious for not returning books on time.

Because of all of the reading and the lack of library visits (and the fact that my husband is also a reader), we have a lot of books. So if I peak your interest and you are lucky enough to live near me, swing by and borrow a few.

Because I fear this looks a lot like a best sellers list, I will keep my descriptions brief (you can read better ones on Amazon by clicking on the titles). Here are my current favorites (and a few I've always loved).


The Time Traveler's Wife
Audre Niffenegger
This is my new favorite book. It is a stunning story. I won't spoil any of it - but it is wonderfully written, touching and required a box of tissues (in a good way).


The Glass Castle
Jeannette Walls
This book is a memoir, but you would never know it. (In case you are a non-fiction-aphobe, like me.) In fact, I didn't until I finished it and noticed the cover said "a memoir."

The Reader
Bernhard Schlink
This is a book you will dwell on. I read it in high school and it is still at the top of my list. It makes you think long and hard about what is right and wrong.




Stephanie Meyers
Ok... so I know this is a vampire book. Which immediately makes me hate myself for reading it. But this is a great book. I couldn't put it down. I read all 500 pages in 4 days. READ IT (with garlic).



Nineteen Minutes
Jodi Picoult
This is a very difficult book to read, as it is about a school shooting. This book is particularly troubling becuase by the end a part of you completely understands why he did it.



The Pilot's Wife
Anita Shreve

This book immediately has two strikes against it - one of the original Oprah's books and an unsuccessful prime time mini-movie. Give it a chance, and I am sure it will not let you down.


Sara Gruen
I read this on the advice of a co-worker. It didn't disappoint. A lot of what I read is about the extremes of life. This book, on the other hand, felt good. The book's main character, a man of 90'ish, reminded me of my grandfather and his great adventures.
What if...? This is a book that will keep you questioning one of life's great questions - what would I do if my child is not perfect. It is a very honest look at the choice one father makes and the life-long consequences.


What's your favorite book?
And, what should I read next?


2 comments:

Win One for the Gipper said...

You and I share two hobbies -- reading and photography. That being said, you absolutely MUST read Shutterbabe. Trust me.

sara said...

This is a great list and makes me want to become more of a reader myself! It's also the 3rd blog reference I've seen lately to Twilight!My "problem" with reading is that once I pick up a good book I can't put it down... hence not accomplishing anything else for a few days (like feeding my children). I will reference your list next time I decide to devote myself to a new book!