Thursday, July 19, 2007

it could be worse...

Lately, I have been down in the dumps.

In general, my life is pretty good. I have a wonderful husband. We have good jobs. We have a nice home. We have two adorable cats. We surround ourselves with interesting, funny, kind people (when possible).

But, some days, I have one of those days. The days were nothing seems right. When my lawn is brown and the cat just puked. Did he forget to take out the trash? Did I just lock myself out of the house? And, there goes the train....

These are the days when I say "shit" a lot under my breath.

You have enough of these days in a row and things start to look a little grim. And then, let's be honest folks, I have a miniature breakdown. Now as all great women know, this is a personal experience.

My best friend in college used to hyperventilate before finals week.

My mother went after depression with a can of frosting and a nasty letter (you didn't want to be on the receiving end of one of those letters).

I, well.... I am a crier.. a sobber... some might just call it blubbering...

I am not a quiet sniffler. I like people to notice me. "Hey! Over here! I AM HAVING AN EMOTION RIGHT NOW!!!"

And then just as quickly as it came on, it is over. And, as my husband ever so patiently reminds me, "it could be worse. You have made it through worse. You will make it through worse. So buck up, little buddy." (If you are wondering, he does in fact call me "little buddy.")

So as I sit here today contemplating my life, and all of the things I want and the things I wish I hadn't lost, I am reminded that things are not so bad. There is a cat on my lap purring softly. I will receive a kiss and a thank you for the pizza I will "make" for dinner. We have a weekend full of friends ahead of us. And, did I mention, my tomatoes are growing.

C'est le vie.


Share your melt-down style.
Too happy to melt-down? Tell us why.

(And, don't be shy, everyone should post more!!!)

5 comments:

kristenita said...

I will be the first to comment - since you encouraged comments & I know they are the funnest part about blogging.

when I am stressed/worried I tend to take it out on my husband by getting very impatient/frantic/easily-upset. he doesn't like that much so it usually starts a fight... then I eventually come around & soften up & cry... and he eventually makes it all better after a big long talk and at least 2 "wasted" hours. but then I feel so much better.
I think the problem is that I hold stuff in while it is bothering me... then one little (or huge!) thing sets it all off & all the little things come out during the 2-hour "damage control" talk. but like I said - then I'm all better!!

p.s. love your blog. I'm a friend/fan of mrs dub.

Mrs. Dub said...

i'm a total depressed drama queen. whe my life sucks a little, i sct like i'm about to be destroyed. thankfully, i can be over it ffairly fast. but not without one of those "damage control" talks with someone. well coined, kristin!

ANN said...

Dear Kristen,

You leave great comments. Any friend of the Mrs., is a friend of mine. But do give me access to your blog so I can get to you know too.

Win One for the Gipper said...

You could be working on another project for Ad Age . . .

sara said...

I tend to have a medium-sized cry about once a month, whether there's a good reason or not, and regardless of my current birth control method or state of pregnancy/post partum. Having been married nearly 10 years, Hubs has finally started asking, "Is this just one of those girl things I'll never understand?" and he's realized that most of the cries aren't something he can "fix." And he's learned that he can just listen to me without trying to "fix it" too; that has been a nice development.