Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Green Thumb (in a cute pair of gloves)

Once when I was younger, I said to a family friend, "I don't want a yard. If I have a yard, I want someone who comes and takes care of it for me."

Things have changed.

Now in what I am told is called the "nesting period" of my life - I want a house with a yard and a garden. I want to grown tomatoes and roses and take pride in stepping stones.

I come from a long line of gardeners. My grandmother was president of her gardening club. There were always fresh flowers in her home from her yard (or across the street).

In February, we moved into a townhouse with a small yard. And, I decided to test my green thumb.

First thing's first.... a trip to Target.

Hum.... what do I need. Ahh yes, I pair of gardening gloves. Cute ones. And, a matching kneeling pad. The little shovel is cute. Of course, the bag to match the gloves. I decided on a pair of yellow and white polka-dot gloves, and yellow and white flower bag, and a yellow kneeling bad.

The hat proved to be too important a decision for my first trip and will require some additional shopping.

What?! You can't be expected to garden without the proper equipment.

Next... What to grow?

I am from Central Illinois or "literally the corn," as I often say. In my hometown you can get the best, fresh, ripe tomatoes. In fact, you can get them in all of the neighboring communities and cities. I now live in Chicago - a mere 150 miles (or 2.5 hours) away. I cannot find a good tomato ANYWHERE! And, I don't understand.... you can fly them in from El Salvador, but you cannot drive 2 hours?

But, I digress.... First on the list: TOMATOES, then flower, then pots of flowers.

Third... somewhere to sit to enjoy the flowers.

Ladies and gentlemen, patio furniture is expensive. I mean "a new leather sofa" expensive. And, so I am proud to announce that I made my own. I had an old wooden table in storage. My brother-in-law drilled a hole in the middle of the top for me. Next, I stripped the old paint and applied outdoor paint. A trip to IKEA to buy some cheap chairs and an umbrella, and the set was complete.

Fourth... trip to garden center.

Note: do not go to the Home Depot at the Glen garden center on the first nice Sunday afternoon of spring. (Note to my note: I would avoid Home Depot at the Glen at all times, if possible.)

Note: do not wear nice or white clothing to the garden center. Bags of dirt are, well, dirty. (Note to my note: Thank you Clorox!)

Note: if you think you need 20 edging stones, you need 50. (Note to my note: If you are coming over in the near future, I apologize for my stupid looking edging stones.)

Finally... plant garden.

The tomatoes and potted flowers are in. The flats of multi-colored petunias and pansies and inpatients are waiting patiently for attention. Tomorrow night?

I promise a pictures once the yard is complete. And, if I fail, at least I have earned a good manicure!

2 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

maybe it's just because i've never had my own yard, but my thumb is a very unripe shade of yellow. just this weekend when asked what a certain bush was, i responded, "well, it's a plant." when everyone laughed, i said, "well, it's not a flower, right?"

mr. underhill said...

I noticed the edging stones and thought they added to the yard beautifully. I don't even own edging stones; I have to admire yours. I'm just jealous that you have a yard. I'll work with the Missus on translating a few simple sentences into Spanish so you will be able to wow the team next time they come to groom said yard.