Monday, May 7, 2007

Paperland

Falling through the rabbit hole into wonderland means one thing to me.... a paper store.

Fancy cards tied in a satin ribbon and packed in a delightful little box are the things (my) dreams are made of.

So today... let's talk paper! (and my paper picks)

First...
I first remember falling in love with colorful sheets of cotton stationery at a gift shop in Carbondale, Illinois - Kaleidoscope. As part of our all day shopping adventures, my mother used to drag me here to look at the unique gifts and hand-made jewelry. However, on one trip I found a little shelf in the back of the store. Each shelf contained a different color of decorative paper and matching envelopes. If you are ever visiting SIU, I recommend a visit.

Best...
You can find the country's favorite stationery right here in Chicago. Crane & Co. is the oldest paper company in the United States. Paul Revere engraved banknotes for the Colony of Massachusetts on Crane paper to help finance the American Revolution. Today, U.S. currency is still printed on this fabulous stock. Though it can be a bit pricey, they now make a fabulous line of "Imprintables" that promise to give you flawless invitations regardless of your printer's quality. Visit the Crane & Co. store at Watertower Place on Chicago's Magnificent Mile.

Funnest...
"Create something every day" is the motto of my next company. I love (LOVE) this store. Don't believe me? Go in and ask to pull up my account. "Which one?" they will ask. I have three. You should find a Paper Source near you and spend too much money there.

Really-wanna-make-something...
Though, you cannot walk into this paper store (unless you live in southern CA) you should check it out. If you are in the market for wedding invitations, announcements, or some really awesome paper, Envelopments
is the company for you. And, if looking at these two-dimensional pictures makes you think "I have to have those cloud nine portable pockets!" talk at me.... I know people.

Needa-crapload-of-envelopes-for-pennies....
This may not be the fanciest paper, but it is cheap. Envelope Mall (which sells a lot more than envelopes) keeps prices low by selling only bulk stationery. Again, they don't have a store front to wonder through, but they are located in Chicago which means GROUND = NEXT DAY AIR!

I-don't-really-need-it-but-I-want-it...
Finally, if you want a little shop full of
fancy cards tied in a satin ribbon and packed in a delightful little boxes, spend the afternoon in this little Old Town jewel. Pulp & Ink certainly doesn't have a lot of things I "need," but there might be a few things I end up with.

So I beg you... close your email (not this page) and write a note to someone you love (on your fanciest, deckle-edge cards with matching vellum envelopes).


Then, share a story about your favorite invitation, card, or box of notes....

No comments: