Friday, April 27, 2007

The Chocolate City

The "Loop" is the heart of Chicago and the second largest business district in United States. Named for the original, circular streetcar route, it is home to the first skyscraper, the Sears Tower, great shopping, majestic theatres, and, most importantly, professional service firms and centers of commerce galore. Walk out of Ogilvy Transportation on any weekday morning, and you will be herded like khaki-wearing cattle across the Chicago River and into some feat of engineering.


However, things are not all abo
ut steel and bottom lines. On days when things are "just so" and there is a pleasant breeze off of the lake, the most delightful transformation happens. Though beautiful and inviting, it is not the sun reflecting off of the sky scrappers; or the children giggling in the Millennium Park fountains; or the bucket drummer playing his Friday anthem on the bridge next to the opera house. Rather, it is the scent that fills the air.

Each day, when I leave work, I ride the elevator down 25 stories to the atrium. I hustle to the door, step outside, and take a big, deep breath of fresh air. One day, not too long ago, I inhaled deeply and thought, "What is that? What am I smelling? It's.... it's.... chocolate chip cookies!"
After a bit of research, I discovered that a chocolate company (yes, like Charlie... but no scary green men) has it's factory on the north-west corner of the Loop. Bloomer Chocolate even drew the attention of the EPA, when a west-loop resident was concerned about the levels of cocoa powder being released into the air (clearly, this individual did not get enough love as a child).

Each day since, when I walked out of the building, I have been disappointed to smell the city - some combination of lake, industry, rain and bus exhaust.

Today was a particularly hard day at work. I couldn't wait to get the weekend started. My mind was singularly focused as I pushed the revolving door around.... "HOME. Just get home." And, then it hit me again. Chocolate chip cookies. Warm ones, fresh out of the oven. It felt like a huge, comforting hug from Grandma. And, I smiled.

If you are ever in Chicago when the breeze is just right, I wish you a scrumptious afternoon full of the delights of life.

3 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

gosh, with all that wind in this windy city, you'd think we'd get some of those choco-licious breezes our way on occasion. instead, it smells like boring out here. who knew?

skid said...

Technically, the first skyscraper was the Home Insurance building by William Le Baron Jenney in 1885. NE corner of LaSalle & Adams, it no longer exists.

The Sears tower did not come until much later in 1973.

skid said...

I may have misread the second sentence. Tricky commas.