Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Can't we all just be nice


Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you. The Golden Rule is an adage we all know. One that was taught to us by our mothers, and to them by their mothers, and so on. Yet, in today's busy world, we often lose site of this simple idea.

Granted, my perception is a bit skewed. Like millions of others, I am a "professional." Professionals (for the most part) are a group of individuals who are self-motivated, highly driven, narcissists who are paid way too much money to almost tell someone else something of possible value. (Just not enough value that we might get sued.) Seems a little harsh? Let's look at the obvious players - we have your lawyers, consultants, and we mustn’t forget the accountants. We are a group of people who work long hours and are over taxed. And so, it is not surprising that each day I find myself looking at my surroundings and thinking, "Can’t we all just be nice?"

I will also admit that women are a self-destructive bunch. We feed off of each other, laugh at the meanest of stories, and often gang up on those who are innocent. I find that I like myself a great deal more when I avoid this trap (see "That Girl" entry).

A few weeks ago, it was raining as I was walking into work. A woman came running down the side walk, clearly late for something very important. Her umbrella collided with that of other woman, as she ran passed. Still moving forward, she turned and offered a quick apology to the person she had bumped. And in return, she received a lovely morning greeting, "Why don't you watch where you are f*^&ing going!"

Is there something more rewarding about yelling expletives rather than saying, "that's ok"? Is there something endearing about a person who makes fun of their friends? Is there something more exciting about making fun of someone's muffin top, than talking about their lovely weekend or their great new shoes? And, even if making fun of some one seems like a good time (which, let's face it, it can be), what do we gain from being so negative?

I read a sign today that said, "If a guy is nice to you, but mean to the waiter, he's not a nice guy."

I think this is true for all people. We need to stop excusing the darkest things we do in life because we look at the sum of our actions, rather than the parts.

Here is my charge. Think of those things that make you most upset - when someone honks at you, when the lady at the grocery store is mean to the check out boy, when someone whispers about a coworker in the cube next to you - and don't do those things.

Do unto others.... well, you know how it goes.

1 comment:

kristenita said...

amen!
(I am a distant-friend of mrs dub & secret reader of your blog.)
I think people are just too mean these days. I live in NY and I just watch in shock daily as I see rudeness everywhere.
today I caught myself honking at an on-coming someone going through a green light way too fast when I was waiting to turn left. I honked because I thought it was my turn - but after I honked I realized IIIIIIIII was the one in the wrong, they were supposed to go first. I said "oh, sorry," but realized I probably made them mad and they couldn't hear me anyways.
...so I have decided that the next time someone honks at ME, I will think maybe they did it on accident.

as my grandpa used to say: "it's nice to be nice."