Sunday, May 20, 2007

5.21 Monday Meals - Tomato Soup

This week's Monday Meals' recipe is for Tomato Soup. The fist time I had really good tomato soup was 6 years ago in New York, and I have been working on finding its duplicate ever sense. Tomato soup (with the complimentary grilled cheese) holds a special place for each of us, and I hope this recipe becomes on of your favorites.

Try this recipe with a grilled cheese made with extra sharp cheddar and a little dijon, some southwest cornbread, or slices of baguette toasted with a little goat cheese - and show Campbell's how it's really done!

5.21 Pro Tip
Chop it on Sunday.
If you are a foody obsessed with the Food Network, you know who Robin Miller is. If she annoys you to no end, you can automatically be my friend. However, if there is one thing Robyn can teach us all it is to prep in advance. I am BUSY. Every weekend I make a list of the week's meals and head to the store. When I know I am going to have a particularly busy week, I prep all of my fresh ingredients in advance. I may take and hour to trim the chicken, dice three onions, and rinse half-a-dozen other assorted veggies, but I am much more likely to make a healthy, homemade meal when I get home from work during the week, when most of the work is already done.

5.21 Recipe
Tomato Soup

1 sweet onion
4-5 gloves of garlic
Large can of whole tomatoes
1/4 tsp. red pepper flake
1 can low sodium chicken stock
1 cup milk (2% or whole)
Bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste

Roast in 400 degree oven until caramelized (about 10 minutes)
Add a small amount of oil to the bottom of a soup pot
Finely dice the onion and cook until caramelized
Add tomatoes and garlic
Season with salt and pepper
Add stock, water, and bay leaf
Simmer for approximately 20 minutes of until liquid is half gone
Remove bay leaf
Puree in food processor or with immersion blender
Carefully add milk, stirring constantly to keep from curdling
Serve with your favorite side(s)



2 comments:

A-Hole Carolla said...

i've thought about choppin crap up a few days before i gotta make a meal.

won't onions and garlic lose their power though? i thought i heard that somewhere.

ANN said...

It is true that some produce can start dry out after a few days - but not enough that I notice. If you are worried, the key is to keep air contact down. Squeeze out all excess air from your storage bag (or container) to keep them fresher, longer.