Monday, June 9, 2008

No imitation

For those of you who know me... I'm not a big fan of short cuts in the kitchen. I like the idea of efficiency, but most of the time (let's be honest, all of the time) there's no comparison to the real deal.

It is a tradition in my family that you simply do not skimp on birthdays. Today's the hubby's big day. So, in honor of his entry into his (early) late twenties, I thought you might all enjoy some cake!


Bonus. Here's the recipe for Annie's Chocolate Ganache Frosting. Enjoy!

Chocolate Ganache Frosting

1 stick of softened, unsalted butter
1 pound confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1/4 - 1/2 cup half and half
1/2 bag of semisweet or dark chocolate chips
  • Fill a small pan half full of water and bring to a simmer.
  • Place a glass or stainless bowl over the top and reduce heat.
  • Pour chocolate chips into the bowl.
  • Stir until complete melted. (but, while the chips are melting...)
  • In a mixer, combine the butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla and half of the half and half until completely incorporated.
  • While the mixer is on low, slowly add in the melted chocolate.
  • Add the remainder of the half and half until you get to the right consistency.
  • Frost!

2 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

Happy B-day to the Hubs! (And I've totally blanked on yours once again, but you best be emailing me that ... right after I email you back, of course.)

Win One for the Gipper said...

I'm going to try this (with a side of insulin) on Wednesday for a friend's birthday. Stay tuned.