Friday, June 27, 2008

Fro Yo or Fro No?

I used to love The Hills. Then Heidi got botox and Audrina got back together with Justin Bobby, and I just couldn't do it anymore. Unfortunately, I am ashamed to say that the show did have a lasting impact. When I was in New York back in January, we stumbled upon a Pinkberry. I just had to stop... I mean, Hello?! Lauren loves it!

I love Pinkberry
. I love it so much that I ended up getting it every night we were in New York in January, and then every night we were in New York in May.

Before you think, Wow, Ann is a fat ass!, you should know a couple of things about Pinkberry. It is crazy good for you. It's just yogurt and some flavorings (I think honey, lime and vanilla - but I'm still messing around with my homemade version). A small original has 70 calories. You can tack on toppings such as cookie dough and fruity pebbles, but I stick with strawberries. In case I have built this up, I should say that it's an acquired taste. It doesn't taste like ice cream. It tastes like plain (and slightly sweetened) yogurt. So, if you have a hankerin' for Ben & Jerry's, go get some; this won't cut it.

But with my visits to New York few and far between, I am on a mission to find something pinkberry-like in Chicago. I am not the only one. It seems all of my Windy City friends who have tried it on vacation, are also obsessed. So, here it is Chicago. After much online research and many tasty trips, I invite you to go get your fix!

Yogen Fruz
When I excitedly approached at Woodfield Mall last weekend and asked, "Is this Pinkberry-esque?" The pimply teenager behind the counter answered, "Now that's not a nice question. It's much better." I knew I was warm. So far, this is the closest to Pinkberry I have found. The same cups, toppings, taste, calories, etc. The only downside - there are two locations near Chicago and they are both malls (Woodfield Mall and Orland Park Shopping Center). But if you have to go to the Lego Store and Build-A-Bear (yes, I did both in one day), find a directory and get you some yogen fruz!

I haven't been to this location, but my coworker pointed it out to me. The online reviews make it sound basically the same as all of the others. But the website apprears to have been made by some one dropping acid or a 13-year-old girl.
Berry Chill is the Chicago working (wo)man's answer to delicious Pinkberry in Chicago. There is currently one location at State and Ontario - which is perfect for tourists that don't want to cover there fingers in Garrett's cheese powder (please don't shun me, Chicago) on their way to American Girl Place. But... they are opening two additional locations. One is in smack in the middle of the Loop - at 132 N. LaSalle. The other is going to be in the Ogilvie Transportation Center. Oh, commuter bliss!

A warning about Berry Chill. While it has the fat properties of air - 20 calories and 0 grams of fat for an original - it is straight yogurt. So, if you don't like the ice cream knock-offs, you really won't like this one. Also, the cups really bother me. They are shallow, and my strawberries kept ending up on the table.
Red Mango is my local Pinkberry. Do we see a naming theme? Anyone want to open a fro yo shop... Fushia Kiwi? Coral Papaya? This one has two very exciting locations. One in Evanston - Yay for Annie!!! - and one in Naperville. For my dear Pinkberry-loving friend of the North burbs... come see me... I'll take you out for some Fro, Yo!


And, for goodness sake, could someone get my hubby excited! I so badly want to make daily trips to the new Red Mango that just opened in Evanston; but, alas, he is not a fan!

3 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

Fro Yes Please! I love Pinkberry. we recently discovered a knock-off called Very Berry in our neck of the woods. It's like a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. But thank you for helping me get my fix when I'm "out of town."

Anonymous said...

Rumors has it that Red Mango is the copy-cat of Yogen Fruz, after Yogen Fruz success in Asia since late 90's. Yogen Fruz just opened their first LA location in Beverly Hills.

Anonymous said...

great share, great article, very usefull for me...thank

you