Thursday, August 30, 2007

In the dark


I have been in the dark many times in my life.

I spent an entire semester in college touting La Croix. Only to find out you don't pronounce it "lay crocks." Or, like the time I tried to book an international flight, only to find out the client was in Dublin, OHIO.

But for five days in the past week, I was living in the dark... literally... as in, without power... no lights... the dark.

After a serious blog absence, I thought I would treat you all to a recap of this adventure:

Night One.
This is interesting. Let me just grab those camping lanterns we purchased last weekend and some candles. There. We are a Joni Mitchell album away from a romantic evening. We can read and play with the cats and snuggle and go to bed early. Not so bad.

Next Morning.
Really? Still off? I need to take a quick shower to save the hubby some hot water. No hair dryer or curling iron this morning, and I guess I'll do my makeup on the stairs to get the sun from the skylight. I'm sure it will be back on when I get home tonight.

Night Two.
Oh... oh... oh... nope! I'm really getting sick of the flickering lights followed by the transformer blowing down the street. Just give up for the night and go home. I hope the rain stops soon. I love a good summer thunderstorm, but I can't shut the windows because the AC won't run. Everything near a window is officially wet!

Night Three.
We officially are in a stage of "brown out." That means they MacGyver'ed a generator to the power lines. It gives us just enough power to run dim lights. It's a lot like living in an old Western movie. Luckily, today we went into the office and downloaded some stories onto a laptop. I have a hot date with my husband tonight... we are going to huddle around a screen in the summer heat until the computer dies.

Day Four.
What is that smell?! Oh dear lord, is that coming from the... crap! (Note to readers: a dear friend recently married a cattle farmer. To thank us for our wedding-day help, she thoughtfully gave us 15 pounds of now warm, oozing, rancid cow.) Get the contractor bags, it's time to clean out the fridge.

Day Five.
We just called the home phone and the answering machine picked up. Oh, I am so excited, I just can't decide how to celebrate first tonight... Laundry, dishwasher, vacuum? groceries?

I know the weather is great and the storms have passed... but share your weather woes !

2 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

Serious bummer. We lucked out with no damage and no power outage. I know the pioneers did it, but - c'mon - they also wore bonnets!

Lindsey from The R House said...

the start of this post has me weeping with laughter. i can totally relate. i remember telling my now husband when we were 19 that i hoped he got called to south america on his mission. you know, some place like spain.