Monday, June 18, 2007

Vrroooooommm


I spent this past weekend in Indianapolis at the Indiana Motor Speedway. This was my first trip to a big-time race track, and I expected what many of you might also think of... tube tops, bleached hair, cigarettes?

I was totally wrong! This is not NASCAR, my friends. This is F1. This is where every European (and Brazilian) flocks during each summer. This is where the fans sip from personal-size wine bottles while snacking on their prosciutto-wrapped asparagus (yes, both of these groups were sitting around us). This is where I can wear my new super cool hat, root for my hottie Hamilton, and sit in awe of these cars. (But, I still hate people that talk about cars all of the time. Feel free to hate me right now.)

Let me share a few of the reasons I love this sport.

1) My hubbie loves that I love it. There is something really wonderful about a sport that only comes to the US once each year. That means I get to enjoy F1 cuddled with my husband and two cats on the sofa.


2) Did you see my sweet new hat?

3) Nice-car. These cars are made to fly. The go so fast that the FIA (I don't know what that stands for, but it is like the principals office for F1) has made rules to slow down the cars. The cars are made to shatter upon impact, while protecting the driver. Last week this guy (see picture) slammed into a wall at 200 mph, and walked away with a sprained ankle. These cars are pretty awesome.


4) The Europeans love it.... that means it is posh, right?!

5) Lewis Hamilton is actually good! At the end of last year, I decided to root for the incoming rookie. Hamilton is a 22 year old English driver who has managed to set new records every week. He has been on the podium in every race and has won the last two. He is cute and well spoken and the boy can race. Here is a picture as he came in to the pits after winning this weekend.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that as long as I can be a pretentious race car fan... then I say vrroooooooom!

1 comment:

Mrs. Dub said...

mental note: change your stereotype of nascar

mental note: buy a hat