Tuesday, June 5, 2007

6.5 Monday Meals (on Tuesday) - Picnic Picks

I know that it is Tuesday, but I would feel bad skipping two weeks in a row. I was traveling yesterday, and I apologize for my late arrival.

Summer is officially here. (Unless you live in Chicago where it is 50 today.) In the spirit of cook-out love, I am going to share TWO picnic-perfect recipes with you this week to make up for last week's hiatus. Alas, I am only up for one pro-tip. (I know, some pro I am!)

6.5 Pro Tip
Broil it!

I think that broiling is highly underrated. Want to toast a perfect hamburger bun? Cook some brats to a crispy (yet juicy) perfection? Want to make a delicious, cheesy crust on your baked pasta? DONE! I am not sure why so many people don't use their broiler, but I highly recommend it.




Step 1: pick the right setting.
Most broilers have two or three settings - high, medium and low. (Don't you wish Starbucks was that easy?!) Think of your broiler like a grill, the closer you are to the flame, the faster things will cook. Don't use the "high" setting for foods that burn easily - like that bun.

Step 2: watch out.
Keep an eye on whatever you are cooking - you don't want your lasagna to be black.

Step 3: show some crack. Cracking the oven door does two things: 1) it keeps the flame going to maintain the oven temperature and 2) it makes it a lot easier for you to follow step number two.

6.5 Recipe(s)
German Potato Salad


8 red potatoes, quartered
5-6 sliced of bacon
1 tbs. dijon mustard
3 tbs. apple cider vinegar
3 green onions, sliced
salt and pepper

Clean and quarter potatoes
Add to cold water and bring to a boil
When fork tender, drain and set aside
Slice bacon into small pieces, cook in a large skillet
In a small bowl whisk mustard and vinegar
When bacon is crispy, add cooked potatoes and toss in bacon
Add vinegar mixture and green onions to pan
Toss and serve warm


Tunie's Slaw
(my southern grandmother's famous slaw)

1 package cole slaw mix
2 tbs. sunflower seeds
4-6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tbs. dijon mustard
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Thinly slice green onions - whites and greens
Combine in a large bowl with slaw mix and sunflower seeds
In a separate bowl mix together mustard, sugar, and vinegar
Slowly add olive oil to emulsify
Add salt and pepper to dressing to taste
Slowly add vinaigrette to slaw mixture - may not need all
Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.

No comments: