Thursday, July 9, 2009

Our Tree

*Family and friends have reminded me that my blog is a great way for us to stay connected in a personal way that is difficult for all of us in our busy lives. As such, I have recommitted myself to letting you know what's new and interesting in our lives. I cannot promise that I will post every day, but I will be better about staying connected. So... here we go!


Today we bought a tree.

Mike and I found very early in our relationship that we are both Magnolia lovers. My grandparents had two southern magnolia trees in their beautiful yard. I remember the lovely white blooms and the rich, waxy leaves. Alas, these trees cannot survive in the cold Chicago winters. I had two magnolias growing up, full of bright pink blossoms. It was the perfect climbing tree (which, I managed to fall out of a few times). As soon as we bough our house last year, we knew we wanted to plant a magnolia in the front yard.

But, did you know about all of the different types of Magnolias? Turns out our local garden center did. They didn't make the choice easy. There were hard decisions to make. More like a tree or a bush? White flowers or pink flowers?

We settled on an Elizabeth Magnolia. This coming spring it should fill our lawn with beautiful yellow-white flowers. It's going in the ground next Saturday. I'll make sure to update with new front-yard photos

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Local gas stations and convenience stores appear to be newport cigarettes experiencing an uptick in sales over the last couple of weeks as the Oneida Indian Nation’s supply of mainstream brand cigarettes dwindles.But earlier this year Kinley Tshering, then a media consultant in the capital, Thimphu, discussed with friends over drinks the jailing of a Buddhist monk for three years for possessing $3 worth of tobacco, one of the first to be prosecuted under a new law banning public smoking cheap newport cigarettes.