Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lunch break

Today I was rolling into my third day of headache. At first, I thought it was another sinus infection rearing its head. I did the neti thing and the Zyrtec and went to bed. None of that seemed to do much. After a bit of investigation (let's be honest, one can get addicted to WebMD), I have decided that I get tension headaches. My mother was prone to terrible migraines and, while I have thus far escaped these, I too suffer from headaches that are best treated by an early bedtime.

Today after sharing my hypothesis with Mike he said, "Sounds about right. Maybe you should try to relax." Brilliant deduction Holmes. Why hadn't I thought of that?

But, the more I thought about it the more I realized he was probably right. Even though my motto lately at work has been, "it's just paper," translating that into behavior is easier said then done. So at lunch today, I took Mike's advice. I found an equally stressed (and likable) coworker and told her we needed to go for a walk. We both brought our lunch, but couldn't bear to spend another day eating something reheated while hunched over our computers.

I have to say... it worked. I felt better all afternoon. I think this is going to be a new lunch tradition. If nothing else, I need to step away from things for 30 minutes or so in the middle of the day and regroup.

2 comments:

susan kidd said...

Great idea. A coworker and I always took a walk at lunch. Often we caught ourselves racing down the sidewalk at the same insane pace that we had in the school. We had to make sure that it was a relaxing pace so that we could enjoy ourselves and come back relaxed. Good luck with your new program.

Angela and David said...

Yeah! Your back! I came close to removing your link thinking your absence was permanent.

Good luck vending off the headaches as planning for your trip picks up. Thanks again for watching Zach - he watched Michael juggle last night and was very entertained.